Saturday, September 15, 2012

THE 30 DAY WRITING CHALLENGE ~ DAY 15 ~

~ Day 15 ~   EMBRACING YOUR VOICE   ~ Chapter 13 ~


While reading and reflecting on this chapter a thought came to my mind. It's more like a quote. It goes like this: "Writing is recording our voice on paper." In other words, writing is like using a pen as your mic and the paper as the recording device. I Think I just made up my first Aphorism! 

Writing is so much more than just learning basic principles, it's really about expressing oneself and showing the world who you are. 

Cecil writes, "Think of your writing voice as your natural way of producing words. You have a texture, a sound, and a rhythm that's unique to you, and it's your power source." He goes on to say, "On paper you may exhibit your true self more than you're aware."

He shares that, "If you write something that's generated from your inner self, you are connected with the material. Readers can lose themselves in your prose. One writer says that it turns readers from spectators into participants." 

Cecil says that when he is asked to show someone how to discover their natural voice his advice is to tell them to write about what stirs their emotions. He says, "If you combine that with good writing techniques, you have a good start." When Cecil is asked  by someone how to discover their true voice  his response is, "I don't know how. Even if I did, the emphatic word is discover. If I show you, you're not discerning and seeking. You're merely following my direction, and I may be wrong. You have to find your own way; however, I can offer you a few suggestions."

He goes on to write, "What I tell them is simple: Be as natural as possible--but be correct. People need to able to hear you--the authentic you. Finding your voice is like being on a sacred quest. Respect your search because your voice is a gift from God that's unique to you."

Cecil gives this advice,"If you want to find your voice, your goal is to journey toward wholeness--which is what life is about anyway.
Honoring your voice involves self acceptance and self love" 

There are four important questions Cecil encourages writers to ask themselves before starting to write: 
1. What do I want to write?
2. What issues or deep concerns do I have?
3. What are the unresolved issues of my life?
4. Is my writing honest?

He says, "To ask such questions opens you to possible solutions or directions you hadn't previously considered. You don't have to think like the people among whom you work, recreate, or worship. You're responsible to be honest with yourself. If you're honest with yourself, your writing will reflect that."

Cecil goes on to share some experiences that had brought about major changes in his life. He ends this chapter by sharing this statement. "The more comfortable you are being who you have become, the easier it is to write with your voice."

Once again there is so much to glean from this book. My hope is to give you a glimpse and encourage you to read it for yourself.

The Aphorism for this chapter is: "My voice expresses who I am, it waits for me to discover and embrace it.

Until tomorrow,
Bless you,
Terilyn

Aphorism # 13:    "My voice expresses who I am,
                    it waits for me to discover and embrace it."







No comments:

Post a Comment